Friday, April 27, 2012

is the Gay Dolphin still open?

I wanted to take the kids there this year to wander around, but had heard a rumor that they were closing up. And, if they have closed, is there anything else that even comes close to that place? I know there are Eagles and Wings and all that everywhere, but there is only one Gay Dolphin!



is the Gay Dolphin still open?


It was open and doing well during our visit on the first week of July. The only thing I know they closed off was the stairway that used to lead to the overlook that was on top of the building, but the other three floors are still chock full of goodies, you could spend all day in there just browsing.



is the Gay Dolphin still open?


Fantastic! I%26#39;ve tried to explain this place but I don%26#39;t think anyone truly understands what I mean. I can%26#39;t wait to take them there!




Yes its still open!




MAN....I haven%26#39;t been in there I years.





For some reason I remember having to pay like 25 cents to climb those stairs for the ';look out';. Does anyone else remember that?




Oh I love the Gay Dolphin! Used to go there every summer when



I was a kid. Took MY kids there many, many years later.....the same exact stuff was there! I mean....the SAME stuff....had dust on it too. LOL!



My kids didn%26#39;t really get the same thrill out of it that I did.....but it is a fun place. I hope that place never closes! Would NOT be Myrtle Beach without it. Pavillion is one thing....Gay Dolphin is another!




That might be where the mix-up was. They did use to have a ';look-out'; (a spiral staircase that wound its way to the roof plus of the place) that they had to close down because of safety concerns....other that that, The Gay Dolphin is plugging right along...and probably will be for a few more generations!





:)




A friend had mentioned this place to me, and all I can say is ';different strokes for different folks.'; I walked in the door, and the place reeked like diesel fuel or some such, and I didn%26#39;t want my 9 year old granddaughter LOOKING at some of the merchandise they had on display. I did stay long enough to get something in a Gay Dolphin bag for my friend, to bring back good memories for her. :-)




Would someone like to try to explain why I should put this on our list of places to see? Or why we shouldn%26#39;t if we have a 10 and 13 year old? I live at the beach so we%26#39;ve seen the ';not for children%26#39;s eyes'; t-shirts and shot glasses but what makes the Gay Dolphin so interesting?





and where is it located?




It%26#39;s just this big tourist shop that you could get lost in. From what I remember, there was a floor (or section anyway) that had sea shells, one that was jewelry, one that had super cheap plastic kid stuff, and a part with t-shirts. Apparently, some are a bit adult-oriented, but I don%26#39;t remember or just didn%26#39;t notice that part. I think all the stores, at every beach, have those. Basically, it feels like the store is bursting at the seams with lots and lots of tourist stuff. Nothing exceptionally fantastic. Would I make a special trip to go there? Probably not. But I remember it from when I was a kid, and I thought it would be fun to go see it again since I%26#39;m going to be in the area anyway.




on Ocean Blvd North just up from where the old Pavillion was, ocean side. To me Gay Dolphin has the same trinkets now as they did 30 yrs ago when I first started coming to MB. I am sure some of them were there then that are there now. It is not for everyone, it is not an upscale gift shop by any means.

No comments:

Post a Comment