Friday, April 27, 2012

Best route from NJ to Charleston Area ---how to Avoid DC??

Anyone have any suggestions on best way to avoid DC traffic heading south to Charleston? I think we%26#39;ve tried most everything but would love any more ideas! It can take hours if you hit heavy traffic, accidents, etc... and it almost doesn%26#39;t matter what time! We drive regularly from NJ to SC. Thanks!



Best route from NJ to Charleston Area ---how to Avoid DC??


See my post under South Carolina.



Best route from NJ to Charleston Area ---how to Avoid DC??


You could try I-95 to I-695 to I-97 to route 301 (across the Potomac) to route 207 (which hits I-95 north of Richmond). We did this years ago to get from Baltimore to King%26#39;s Dominion. Much less stressful drive.




I live in DC and use 95 daily and just returned from a trip to Charleston via 95.



My best advice: 1. Make sure you have an EZ pass for all those tolls between NJ and DC. 2. Plan your trip at a time when you%26#39;ll avoid rush hour in Baltimore and DC. That would be anytime between 8pm to 6am weekdays.



Last month we drove to Charleston and left DC around 9pm and got far enough south to N.Carolina and got a hotel room right off 95 and completed our trip the following day.



Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment