Thursday, April 26, 2012

Trip Report 8/3-8/11

We left NJ on thursday around 10:00 and traveled until about 6:00. we stayed overnight in Rocky Mount, ate in Texas Steakhouse %26amp; Saloon which was great!. The next day on Friday we stopped at South of the Border for a little bit and traveled Route 9 all the way down to NMB, no traffic at all. We finally arrived on Friday at 11:00. We unpacked the car and went straight to food shopping %26amp; for liquor. Everything went very smoothly and timing was great. The beach house was great, we had a nice in the ground outdoor pool with light which was great at night time. It was very close to the beach almost right across the street. The house was clean but of course I like it a lot cleaner and went over everything with Fantastik. There were comforters available but I also washed them to make sure everything was the way I like them. We also went to a few restaurants to pick up some take out menus. Within a few hours we were settled and it was so nice to get there a day ahead of the Saturday madness.





This was my first time to Myrtle Beach and it wasn鈥檛 what I had pictured but actually nicer. Each day it grew more %26amp; more on me. I enjoyed getting up early and just taking a drive around the area when there was hardly anyone on the roads. I would get my coffee and Krispy Kreme donuts which everyone enjoyed. I also loved how close we were to McDonald鈥檚 which was such a convenient drive for a breakfast or lunch on the beach which the kids loved!. It was also a pretty reasonable walk.





We really lucked out with the weather. We had 9 gorgeous days of sunshine, no rain at all except for a storm which happened in the middle of the night the night before we left. It was very hot %26amp; humid but all in all we were really blessed with the great weather everyday. I was going to rent a bike for the week but it was way too hot %26amp; humid so decided against it.





We did a lot of shopping, went to Broadway at the Beach, went go karting at Nascar 鈥?this was crowded and had quite a bit of waiting time so we only went once. My two kids also did bungee jumping on a trampoline at the Colonial Mall and enjoyed that very much - $20 each for 20 minutes, expensive but worth it to see them have a good time. They also made build a bears at Barefoot Landing. We went to the beach everyday 鈥?the water was so warm I couldn鈥檛 believe it. Luckily we didn鈥檛 see any jellyfish as Im very paranoid of this so that was a good thing.





We ate in a bunch of good places and alternated every other day between take out and eating out in a restaurant. We found that if you went most places before 5:00 you would have no problem getting in, it was after this time things started getting very crowded. We ate at Makado Japanese 鈥?early bird dinner was good for the price. It was getting very packed even at 4:00 in the afternoon so get there early if you plan on doing Japanese. We left at 5:30 and there was a wait. Logan鈥檚 Steakhouse 鈥?me %26amp; my daughters loved this place as they allowed you to throw the peanut shells on the floor after you eat them. They had a nice basket of bread on the table, great appetizers, and the meal was terrific. It wasn鈥檛 fancy but it was fun and food was good. We had a great chicken sandwich there. Another night ate at Fire Island Grill at Barefoot Landing with just my husband and had the grilled chicken %26amp; shrimp sticks with veggies %26amp; rice which came with 5 assorted dipping sauces, also very good, nice atmosphere inside. Another night we did California Pizza, it was only ok for me, I guess I expected more 鈥?reminded me of Pizza Hut although they do have more choices than PH such as buffalo chicken pizza, filet mignon, etc..... I guess Im used to the New York style pizza around here. We also ordered carryout from Chick-Fil-A in the Colonial Mall which has some of the best chicken sandwiches if you are into that. The service was very fast and we were in %26amp; out very quickly. We went to Painters Ice Cream one night it was ok but very expensive for the portion that you get. If you are into fudge think twice about The Fudgery. I spent $20 for fudge just to find it was very very sugary (not creamy like good fudge should be). It went straight into the garbage. Even my daughter agreed that it was too sugary. I don鈥檛 know if it was because of the high humidity that the fudge turned out this way but there are better places out there for fudge.





I would definitely love to come back again. My husband is lucky enough to know someone who owns a house in NMB and we were able to stay at no cost. This was such a great trip as we saved money on accommodations.



.



The only thing I hate is once you start getting comfortable or discovering new things its always around the time you have to come home. The good thing is we will know better for the next time we stay in Myrtle Beach . Also next time I would definitely like to rent a golf cart as that seems to be the big thing in MB. It seems like a lot of fun. As we were leaving our house in the morning a rental company had dropped off a cart for the next people staying there and my husband had no idea you can rent them.





Thanks Hart1 and everyone else that gave me tons of information for this trip.



Trip Report 8/3-8/11


Since you are in NMB, next year we will catch up with you. We agree about Logans, we always get good food there. We dont eat much pizza out, so I can%26#39;t say a thing about that.



Trip Report 8/3-8/11


Wow! Lucky you...having a free place to stay at MB in the summer! Lodging is a huge part of the vacation budget.





There is almost nothing you can%26#39;t rent in Myrtle Beach!





This is the 2nd posting I%26#39;ve seen about Fire Island Grill--will have to consider that.




Glad you had a good time!



And yes, free accomodations...WOW! Thats half the battle right there. Lucky you!



I didn%26#39;t know about the golf carts either....not sure I would want one myself. Too much traffic, unless there is a store just up the street and you don%26#39;t have to cross a big, busy highway.




Ginger, what a wonderful detailed trip report, I enjoyed reading it..



I am so glad you and your family had a wonderful time...




Great report....With all your planning and pre-trip worries I%26#39;m glad you had a good time.




Ginger...LOVED the report! So glad you had a good time! Hopefully, we%26#39;ll have the same good weather!!


  • colorstay
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment