Thursday, April 26, 2012

Classic Southern Cooking

My wife and I are going to spend five days in Charleston at the end of this month. Are there any restaurants in Charleston similar to a place like Mrs. Wilkes in Savannah where fried chicken and other Southern specialties are served family style? Can anyone recommend good barbeque also? Thank you.

Classic Southern Cooking

Charleston%26#39;s local cuisine is a little bit different from ';classic'; southern country cooking, if that is what you mean. There is much more use of seafood, for example. Collard greens are on most menus, and grits are ubiquitous. Fresh local vegetables are always prepared in creative ways that will remind you of home. Tasso ham, the local version of country ham, is used a lot for seasoning in gravies and vegetables.

There are gullah restaurants, like Bertha%26#39;s Kitchen in Charleston and Gullah Cuisine in Mt Pleasant, that concentrate on home style, traditional, southern ';soul food';; but I do not know that they serve family style. For barbecue we like Bessinger%26#39;s on Rte, 17 south (The Savannah Highway).

Fried chicken, when it appears on a menu, is always good. (My family is from Kentucky, so I am real picky about my fried chicken.)

Classic Southern Cooking

It sounds like kiawahvilla is on the money here.

I%26#39;ve heard good things about Gullah Cuisine and I believe Hominy Grill is very popular. When we were there, we ate at Jestine%26#39;s Kitchen (http://www.hollyeats.com/JestinesKitchen.htm), which was pretty good. But none are family-style or big on BBQ, I believe. Sorry.

  • my computer wont turn on
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment