Friday, April 13, 2012

Trip Report

I just returned from my first trip to Hilton Head. So I thought I would post a trip report.





We split our visit between Sea Pines and Palmetto Dunes. To see two areas.



Hilton Head reminded me of Door County. However HH seems much better. Everything seems very new (roads, restaurants, etc鈥?. I also like the fact that business signs are very low along the road. Makes the scenery look much nicer.





Palmetto Dunes:



We preferred Palmetto Dunes to Sea Pines. The tennis area seemed nicer. The instructors were better. We liked the area a bit more. PD seemed to have more tourists around. Riding bikes, walking, etc鈥?/p>




Sea Pines:



The Sea Pines tennis was also very nice. Not as nice as the PD. In general the Sea Pines area seemed to have more ';local'; people. Maybe there is more local housing as opposed to tourists. Less people riding bikes. And more people in cars rushing around. (But just an observation)





Marriott:



At Palmetto Dunes we stayed at the Marriott. The Marriott was an OK resort. I would give it 2.5 or 3 stars. It was a bit old. The rooms could use a remodel. I did like the hammocks by the beach. However the pool was average. We also did not have hot water the last day. Which we were glad to move to our next hotel.





The Inn at Harbor Town



At Sea Pines we stayed at The Inn at Harbor Town. This was a very nice hotel. Maybe 3.5 stars. The room was huge, very clean. The staff is girls from England, wearing plaid skirts. And they were overly nice. This made up for the management staff. They seemed to have a bit of an attitude.





Ocean Grille:



My favorite restaurant. Food A. Atmosphere A+. Looks a bit like a country club. Has a great view. Very good food. Reasonable prices. And free cookies by the front desk.





Catch 22:



Food A. Atmosphere A. Very cozy bar like atmosphere. Good food. Reasonable prices. From the web site you can print a coupon for a free appetizer.





Sea Grass Grill:



Food B. Atmosphere B. Very small restaurant. Small menu. No view. Good food. Seems more like a local place.





Old Oyster Factory:



Food C. Atmosphere C. This place would be good with kids. Big, open restaurant. OK food. For about the same price you can go to Ocean Grille.





One Hot Mama%26#39;s:



Food D-. Atmosphere C. I wanted some BBQ/Ribs. So we were advised to go here. The ribs were way too fatty for my liking. But the sauce was ok. My gf鈥檚 pulled pork sandwich was also very fatty.





Piggly Wiggly grocery store:



I can鈥檛 believe how cheap the prices were. Compared to Chicago prices. Dirt cheap.





Overall, a very good vacation. And I would recommend HH to families with kids.





Thanks to hhiguy for the advice.





If anyone wants to ask a question to a first timer, please ask.



Trip Report


While I%26#39;m not questioning your opinion, your review of the Marriott surprised me. The Marriott has just finished a two year major renovation and i have been told it now can be classed as the best hotel in Hilton Head.





there is a Marriott style and some people are put off by it. I personally find that Marriott%26#39;s seem to be very similar in style no matter where I stay. I think that comparing the Marriott to the Inn at Harbor town which has an almost B%26amp;B feel to it is a little unfair. But for the record I am also not a fan of the Marriott style though many others are perfectly OK with it.





Last week I stayed at The Jefferson in Richmond Va. this is a unique hotel and a world class establishment. It is owned by the same group that runs SeaPines.





SeaPines is a larger area than PD and seems less commercial. While both areas have their full time residents, I think you were fooled by the lack of Hotels and Oceanfront Condo%26#39;s that are part of the Palmetto Dunes Scene.









Stan (hhiguy)



Trip Report


I won%26#39;t disagree with a local expert....





I don%26#39;t think the Marriott was a bad resort, there were some parts that could do with improving.





It looked like the lobby was new, the deck by the pool was new, and it looked like the bathroom in our room was re-done.





However, the rest of the room could have used a remodel. There were lots of scraches and nicks in the walls. which needed to be painted. And the sofa was looking quite old.





Also, the concierge was not very knowledgeable. She was more interested in pushing their timeshares, than giving advice. (Which is just a fact in todays large hotel chains.)





Also we paid $50 less a night for the The Inn at Harbor Town. Which, all in all, made it a better deal.





So I guess from a first timers advice,



If you can get the Inn at Harbor Town for $50 less, I would advise going there.




Sounds like a great trip...glad you went to Catch 22, it%26#39;s a favorite of ours! And being in Chicago too, I have to laugh at your thoughts on Piggly Wiggly, I saw the same everytime we%26#39;re there, and we%26#39;re there 5+ times a year...I%26#39;m like a kid in an amazingly cheap candy store every time I hit the Pig!





We prefer PD too...that%26#39;s where we hang our hat when we%26#39;re in town!




typo..saw = say... fast, confused fingers ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment