Monday, April 16, 2012

Weekend family MB getaway- advice needed ASAP

Hi! I (43) just moved to Raleigh early this summer for new job. No summer vacation yet! I am really looking forward to a quick summer weekend getaway-very last minute planning-which is not my typical style. My fellow travelers will be daughters, 23 and 21 and grandson (Charlie) 16 months. Charlie has never been to the ocean. We are thinking of staying at the Lighthouse Motel to be close to beach, but what else does MB have to offer? Okay- so what would you suggest would be fun for mixed company like this? Is ther a boardwalk and carosel??

Weekend family MB getaway- advice needed ASAP

One more thing- we will have a small dog with us, which is why the Lighthouse seems to be a good choice . Any other suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Weekend family MB getaway- advice needed ASAP

What type of money are you wanting to pay?

And what days are you going to be here?

There are so many hotels that are oceanfront so don%26#39;t limit yourself to just that motel. And it does get limited with the dog situation. If you were looking for budget type properties and with that I mean less than $100.00 per night in the middle of the summer, be very very careful of where you choose to stay. Your experience at the hotel/motel can ruin your short stay there.

MB is huge. The Grand Strand is 60 miles long to include, North MB, MB, Garden City, Surfside, etc. There is tons and tons of activities so I would just wing it if I were you. If it appears interesting go for it on the attractions. Then you can just take notes for planning of your next trip to MB (hopefully).


One more thing, I just noticed that this hotel is direclty at a pier. Personally, I hate being that close to a pier. And if I were only there for one weekend, I wouldn%26#39;t want to be at the pier. Some people don%26#39;t mind it but thought I would forewarn you about that. MB isn%26#39;t one of those small beach towns where being at the pier is the place to be.


I recommend not staying by a pier, fishermen attract fish/sharks. I also recommend staying away from any swashes. They drain into the ocean. DO not let your little one play in the water that is washing down the sand/beach into the ocean.

Myrtle Beach is truly a family destination. We have a the old Pavillion carousel now located at Broadway at the Beach, Bypass 17 and 21st Ave, NO boardwalk yet, some day. Putt-Putts. We have beautiful resorts and condo%26#39;s. If it were me, I would stay more toward the north end of Myrtle Beach at least 21st Ave and above. I am not a huge fan of south end of Myrtle Beach, but there are some nice resorts around 21st South. If you stay right in the heart of MB on Ocean Blvd, its very congested, noisy, traffic, resorts close together. You would enjoy it more to be away from that area. MB is a driving destination anyway, you can%26#39;t really walk to enough of anything that you would never get in your car.


Thanks for the advice. MrsMaryland and Hart1. My plans are for THIS weekend- like I said, very last minute. Need something pet friendly. I don%26#39;t have any preconceived notions about MB-other than I have heard it is a nice place to visit. I had no idea the grand strand was so long. But I am driving down from Raleigh to have a weekend away from unpacking moving boxes. :o)

North MB would probably work well?- any suggests to that specific area? I guess there is a LaQuinta-pet friendly place, but I do not know the area at all

Thanks


The Holiday Inn Surfside- a little south of Myrtle Beach is pet friendly and oceanfront.


Here is a link to some per friendly hotels and condos.

http://www.funbeaches.com/pets.html


Okay, thanks all for the replies. I checked out the Holiday Inn Surfside- looks nice and pet friendly, but there is a $75 nonrefundable pet deposit. (A little steep for 1-2 nights). I am looking at the LaQuinta which is next to the Broadway on the Beach. Any comments about this area?

Thanks!


Found this site for North Myrtle Beach:

northmyrtlebeachtravel.com/book/house.html鈥?/a>

Here%26#39;s one they have. Ocean front. Sleeps four.

www.retreatmyrtlebeach.com/rental/house.html鈥?/a>

Trick will be getting a week-end rental.

Isn%26#39;t ocean front. Actually a few miles off the beach but it%26#39;s pet friendly. Holiday Inn at Little River.

http://www.holidayinmyrtlebeach.com/

Stayed there for one night in July. They have two room suites. About the same rate as regular room. Small ';kitchen'; area and dining table. Would work for one or two nights.

Merry-go round at Barefoot Landing.


LaQuinta is nice but it isn%26#39;t Oceanfront.

Also, sometimes you might be better off calling these places rather than looking online.

Try

-Affordable Family Resort that might work out.

www.affordablefamilyresort.com

  • low cost web hosting
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment